California Fire Marshall Requirements:
• Portable Fire Extinguishers: Fire extinguishers must be broken down, when required, and have
the collar ring installed. They must also be inspected once a year with proper tag certifying externally.
– Hydrostatic testing is needed for dry, chemical, and water-type extinguishers every 12 years.
– Hydrostatic testing is needed for CO2 extinguishers every five years.
• Automatic Fire Protection Systems (Chemical): Breakdown, inspection, and mechanical activation is required semi-annually (every six months). All fusible links must be replaced every six months. The certify-and-tag system must be used. State of California five year title 19 testing and certification is required along with quarterly inspections. Annual inspections also provided and 2 inch main drain inspection.
• Automatic Fire Sprinkler Systems (Water): Five-year title and certification testing is required along with five-year quarterly inspections every three months.
Note: These are simplified guidelines to California Title 19 Public Safety requirements. For more
details, contact us or the California State Fire Marshal.